As part of our monthly Wellbeing Webinar Series, Sequoia partnered with three experts to discuss this month’s topic of Family Health and Wellbeing. We had the pleasure of having Dr. Min Jie Lee, a Board-Certified Pediatrician with One Medical, Debra Patterson, a Behavioral Health Coach with Brightline, and Colt Stander, the Chief Product Officer at Presence.
During our conversation we covered many areas within the field of Family Health and Wellbeing to help families feel even more prepared going back into the school year. We wanted everyone to feel ready to handle both the physical and mental side of this big event, and give parents and professionals tips on talking to their managers and team about workplace flexibility.
A few key takeaways from the webinar:
- Dr. Lee shared many important tips and tricks to stay healthy as children and families get ready to be back in schools and the classrooms:
- Wash those hands and keep things clean – basics matter.
- Maintain good nutrition, healthy sleep habits, drinking lots of water, and getting plenty of exercise.
- Do not forget your flu shot and staying up to date on all vaccines.
- Know when to keep your child home from school or when it is time to consult your pediatrician, urgent care, or even the ER if your child is sick.
- Debra Patterson reminded us that it is important to be empathic and kind, not only to our children but also to ourselves during this period of transition:
- Trust your intuition and if you feel that you or your child could use more mental health support, don’t be shy in reaching out to your support system.
- Find a balance with “screens” and social media, along with having open communication on values and expectations around these topics with your child and family.
- Colt Stander connected with us on the differences he noticed in himself as a leader both before and after having children. He also highlighted how it impacted his outlook as a people manager on the need for flexibility in the workplace.
- Employees need to be transparent about how they’re doing or what they need at work. This helps everyone be more understanding. It’s all about being clear about what’s expected, from both sides.
- Transparency leads to greater flexibility and ultimately a more empathetic team, manager, and individual.
You can watch the full recording here. Registration for our next monthly webinar on “Having a Growth Mindset” is now open here. The webinar will take place on Wednesday, September 20, 2023, at 10 am PT/1 pm ET.
For more information on our Wellbeing offerings, visit https://www.sequoia.com/services/wellbeing/